Sunday, July 12, 2009

Crepes - Gluten free / plain flour versions




So, I've recently discovered the joy (and ease!) of crepes. I remember when I was small my older sister bought this special crepe pan - and I've always had this strange idea that you need special equipment to make them. However, the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to try making them. So over a couple of different nights, I made a gluten free version, with rice flour, and a plain version, which I tarted up with soda water to make even lighter, fluffier crepes. These can be frozen as well, but honestly, they taste even better when they are lovely and fresh!

Here are the gluten free crepes:




Ingredients:
1/2 cup rice flour (for gluten free) or 1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup soda water
2 eggs
butter for cooking with

Toppings of your choice! Suggestions: cream, strawberries, ricotta, honey, chocolate, banana and Nestle top'n'fill (- and cream!) These can also be used for savoury purposes, so you could add chicken, mushrooms, whatever you like!

Method:

  1. Mix the ingredients (except butter)
  2. Leave, covered, for half an hour
  3. On a small pan, at med-high heat, melt butter, then add 4 tbsp of mixture to pan and swirl quickly to cover.
  4. When the batter is beginning to brown, turn over and cook the other side. Until each side is nice and cooked
  5. Fold over as you remove it - or alternatively, you could roll them as you add fillings.
  6. Repeat Steps 1-5 with remaining batter.
  7. Fill crepes as desired with toppings of choice.
Here are the plain flour versions - these were the first ones I tried using soda water with. They were quite divine!

banana/Nestle Caramel top'n'fill (also inside the crepes)/whipped cream/piece of dark chocolate

hazelnut praline (also inside the crepes)/melted chocolate/whipped cream/strawberries/dark chocolate

No comments:

Post a Comment