Monday, January 11, 2010

My Sister's lemon yoghurt cake...

Nicole (right) and I, a very long time ago.

So I've been hassling my sister Nicole for ages over this recipe, and now I finally made it, much to the delight of my Sister, Food Critic Andrew and my workmates.

I don't actually own a ring/bundt tin, so I made the recipe and it turned out to fit a regular sized cake tin, as well as a loaf pan. I've been so minimalist for the last few years, and finally have the room to fit more than a few cake tins in my kitchen, so a new bundt tin is on the list. I also want these Nordic Ware Cast Aluminum Sweetheart Rose Muffin Pan... they look just so beautiful, and I simply must have them!

Anyway, back to this wonderful cake - It's so light and fluffy and moist, as well as tasty. Just what you want in an afternoon tea type cake! I am not sure how long it would keep for - it goes so quickly, you probably won't find out either!

Lemon yogurt ring

Ingredients

225g/1 cup butter ( at room temp)
285g/ 1 1/2 cup caster sugar
4 eggs separated
10ml/ 2 tsp grated lemon
90ml / 6 tbsp lemon juice
250ml /1 cup natural yogurt
275g / 2 1/2 cups plain flour
10ml /2 tsp baking powder
5ml/ 1 tsp bi-carb of soda
2.5 ml / 1/2 tsp salt
for the glaze
115g/ 1 cup of icing sugar
30ml/ 2 tbsp natural yogurt

Method

1. preheat oven to 180 C. grease a 3 litre/12 1/2 cup bundt or fluted tube tin and dust with flour.

2. cream the butter & caster sugar until light & fluffy. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the lemon ring, juice & yogurt and stir.

3. Sift together the flour, baking powder & bicarb. In another bowl, beat the eggs whites and salt until they hold stiff peaks.

4. fold the dry ingredients into the butter mix, then fold in a dollop of egg whited. Fold in the remaining whites.

5. Pour into the tin and bake until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 50 min. Leave in the tin for 15 min, then turn out and cool on a wire rack.

6. for the glaze, sift the icing sugar into a bowl, stir in the lemon juice and just enough yogurt to make a smooth glaze. Pour over the glaze

Note:- Nicole doesn't separate the eggs they just go in. She also uses a 200 tub of plain yogurt and doesn't mix all the dry ingredients together; they just all go in as the recipe says - it makes for a much denser cake, which I might say is even yummier than if you follow the recipe straight out...

1 comment:

  1. I think I'll have to try it, all the way from Winnipeg! It's heading up to zero today (yippee!!!)... you Aussies have no idea. But the baking ideas can remain!

    ReplyDelete